Thursday, June 14, 2012

Happy Soberthday To Me

Today is my second soberthday.
What the hell is a soberthday?
Its my sober birthday. My second one. 730 sunsets since I took my last drink of alcohol. It feels damn good, too. As I blew out my imaginary soberthday candles on my imaginary soberthday cake, I wished for our child to come home. Ya know....that one we don't know yet. I want them here. In my arms, in my heart, in my sight. To know they are cared for and loved and protected.

Its yet another thing I couldn't do if I were still a drunk. I was a waste as a drunk. I had no soul, no compassion, nothing. I wasn't doing any good. I was doing a whole lot of harm, mostly to my self. Thankfully I kicked the habit before I got married and had children. It wouldn't have been pretty to be a falling down drunk with a kid. That's not cute.
I eagerly await my dinner, after working all the live-long day, and coming home to squeeze five minutes of play time out of my exhausted Boober. Its been a good day. A good day that I managed to get through without booze.
I'll count that as a win.

No comments:

Post a Comment